The Cape York Australia Travel Guide
An Insider Guide to One of Australia's Last FrontiersThis Cape York Australia Travel Guide is based on real first hand experiences written by a local - not a tourism organisation or a travel agency (I am out here, on the tracks, not in an office in Brisbane to call it The Official Cape York Website).
It means I don't only write about places - I have made this website to help you with planning your own great adventure trip.
It also means I won't only cover the obvious tourism attractions, but also the spots that you don't hear about elsewhere.
© Driving the Starcke Wakooka Track to Cape Melville.
I cover the most popular activities such as fishing, bush camping, driving the Old Telegraph Track .. and not only that, I tell you about the best spots and tracks where to fish, camp and four wheel drive.
I also tell you about the history, geology and wildlife of the region, and where you can see the unique plants, birds and animals that the peninsula only shares with Papua New Guinea - and not the rest of Australia.
© Deadly saltwater crocodile in Daintree River.
You will also find the practical information about planning your trip, what things are good to know and what can be dangerous.
It is like going for a trip with a local. Ready for a quick look?
Cairns is most often not counted into the area of Cape York Australia, but because any traveller to the peninsula is likely to spend some time in Cairns, I have covered the city.
© Fishing in Old Mapoon, north of Weipa.
* Inland from Cairns are Chillagoe, Hodgkinson River Goldfields and Burke Developmental Road that takes you to Normanton and Karumba.
* Along the coastal way north of Cairns are Port Douglas, Mossman, Daintree, Cape Tribulation, Cooktown, and Lakefield, Starcke and Cape Melville National Parks.
© Brolgas in Lakefield National Park.
* And along the inland way up from Cairns are Kuranda, Mareeba, Mt Molloy, Mt Carbine, Palmer River Goldfields, Lakeland, Laura and Musgrave.
* Further north are Coen, Archer River, Iron Range National Park and Weipa.
© Northernmost point of mainland Australia.
* And furthest north are Northern Peninsula Area and Tip of Cape York Australia.
* Off the coast are the beautiful Torres Strait Islands.
© Horn Island, Torres Strait.
But these are only some of the most obvious places.
There are countless great beaches, waterfalls, swimming holes and camping spots in Cape York Australia that most people don't know about.
© Fruit Bat Falls - a great swimming hole (not a secret).
These are all covered on this Cape York Australia website, and the ones that are not, will be over the time as I continue working on this site in more and more detail :-)
If you liked the books or this website, let others know about it!
Link to it from your website, your blog, your forum post... Share it on Facebook, Tweet about it... Every link helps other travellers!
When talking, instead of saying www.cape-dash-york-dash-australia.com, you can also refer to it as www.capeyorkwebsite.com - putting that into Google, or any browser's address bar takes one to this same website.
Thank you for doing the right thing and letting others know :-)
- Contact Me
- Here is the place to contact me.
- Laura Australia - Cape York
- Information on the small town of Laura in Cape York, Australia.
- Lockhart River, Cape York
- Information on the community of Lockhart River in eastern Cape York, Australia.
- Telegraph Road, Cape York Australia
- Information on Telegraph Road in Cape York, Australia.
- Information on Bamaga in Cape York, Australia.
- Seisia, Cape York
- Information on the small community of Seisia in the northernmost Cape York peninsula, Australia.
- Thursday Island, Torres Strait
- Information on Thursday Island in Torres Strait, just north of the tip of Cape York, Australia.
- Horn Island, Torres Strait
- Information on Horn island in southern Torres Strait, just north of Cape York, Australia.
- Roko Island, Torres Strait
- Information on Roko Island in Torres Strait, just off the tip of Cape York, Australia.
- Cape York Facts
- On this page you have some interesting Cape York facts.
- Cape York Geology
- Information on some interesting Cape York geology and where to observe it on your trip.
- Cape York Plants
- Information on some unique and interesting Cape York plants.
- Cape York Animals
- Information on the unique Cape York animals that we share with Papua New Guinea and not the rest of Australia.
- Cape York Peninsula
- Information on the beautiful Cape York Peninsula - one of the the wildest, remotest parts of Australia.
- Queensland Map
- On this page you can pick the Queensland map that suits you needs.
- Cape York Photos
- On this page you have some Cape York photos that I have taken myself.
- Cape York Images
- On this page you have some posters that display some great Cape York images.
- Cape York Australia Blog
- This Cape York Queensland Australia blog is all about new pages added to cape-york-australia.com.